1. Education
Do you know how to count to 10 in Latin? While it's not hard, at least for the first three numbers, you need to know what the gender is of the object you're counting.

Comments

June 4, 2008 at 12:09 pm
(1) swank says:

You make no attempt to relate any number to any gender. The tag line says gender is important then list three numbers for one (1) and don’t give a clue as to which number goes with which gender. What’s a third gender?, I always wondered about those Romans…

June 4, 2008 at 12:30 pm
(2) ancienthistory says:

I incorrectly assumed people reading this would know how Latin adjectives are displayed. I have added links to the numbers page for information on adjectives and on Latin gender:

March 8, 2009 at 10:55 pm
(3) Parkerr says:

Unus, Una, Unum.
Masculine, Femenine, Neutral,– in that order.
In this list, all of the three numbers go Masculine, Feminine, Neutral.

English has only one gender. Romance languages have 2, and Teutonic [German, Danish, etc.] language all have 3 genders.

Latin has 3; I don’t know much about Latin, but I do speak French. It’s how sailors say “My ship, she’s a beauty.” Or “Do you like my tennis racket” … “Yes, he’s handsome.” English just hast “it.”

But just like every language there is, some numbers only have one gender, and with that- no need to worry about getting the gender of the number [like 4/quattuor] correct.

model_hot@hotmail.com is my e-mail address if you have any questions.

August 17, 2010 at 4:30 pm
(4) PillBinge says:

Actually, English does have gender; it’s leftover from the last thousand years where the changes happened, but it exists.

It’s debated, but there are four commonly accepted genders with the last one being semantic for some people. They are:

Masculine: He, his, himself
Feminine: She, her, herself
Neuter: It, its, itself
And Common: (words that have no gender attached)

For instance, “He is a shipbuilder.” The He means the subject is male. If it were She, the subject would be female, and so there is a distinction. If I said, “It is a shipbuilder.” perhaps I would be referring to a program or machinery, but regardless, it isn’t human.

Now, the word “Shipbuilder” would be common as it is human though it isn’t necessarily a male, female, or neuter. It can be all three. The words Cousin and Driver are more examples. Words like Waiter and Waitress are examples of masculine and feminine as they describe the person as being the former or latter. There is no Cousiness, Cousintrix, or what have you.

Book is neuter while “ship” is on the line, as I can say, “It’s a nice ship,” and I can say, “She’s a good ship.” Both are acceptable.

April 19, 2011 at 11:47 am
(5) Peter says:

Sorry, I just wanted to clear something up, and I’m not sure if anyone will read this but here goes.

I think the gender in languages refers to when you talk about an object itself, hence English has no Gender as you can say The Shipbuilder, or The Dog, or The Cat for instance, they all have the same The, nothing else.

Where as in other languages such as German, The is Der, Die, or Das and Each object will have a gender no matter what. They all mean “The” in English but to them, they represent Gender of an object, not the sex.

So The Dog, becomes Der Hund because dog is associated with the Masculine gender. It doesn’t mean it’s a male dog, it just means the dog.

Gender isn’t the normal Gender you are thinking of, it’s not referring to the sex of an object like he or she. It refers to the type of Case it can be classified in. I’m not sure why they do it, but say Das Hund is incorrect in the German language.

Going back to “He is a Shipbuilder” The He is referring to a person, it’s a pro-noun So it has sex, but the Shipbuilder which is the object you are talking about has no Gender in the English Language.

And you saying, She’s a good ship doesn’t give the Ship a feminine gender. That’s just how some people refer to it. But you can say he’s a good ship as it’s entirely up to the person saying it. You are giving it a gender, but it itself has no Gender in the english language.

April 19, 2011 at 6:06 pm
(6) NS Gill says:

Oddly, in English, ships have traditionally had a gender, the feminine. We may have lost it, but it was there.

December 16, 2011 at 6:06 pm
(7) Chris says:

Correct me if I’m wrong. You said German has die, das, der…refering to English’s “THE” as only one even though people don’t speak like they used to there are still words in the english dictionary with the same kind of “gender” operation. (thee the, thy, thou) also difference in pronouncing the..as thee or the as thuh.. I think there is a difference between “‘the’ end” and “‘the’ chair” you cannot say the end like thuh end..it must sound like thee end.. sorry I’m no English major..and am more so , just curious..because I Think there is a th้ and th๊ rule

January 24, 2013 at 11:48 pm
(8) Alexander says:

What you are on the trail of is not a matter of gender, as much as an issue of pronuciation. The in English is usually sounded as (thuh) with a schwa sound. The exception being when the following word starts with a vowel. Thuh market, or thee airplane. Thuh house, thee animal. It’s nothing more than logistics for the tongue. Try it out right now with any word in english. It is like how in French, ‘le’ is their article for “the”. So one would say “le chaud” (the cat). But if the following word starts with a vowel (or a silent ‘h’) then it requires only an “L” and an apostrophe. L’amour and l’hoeur. (Love and time)

March 11, 2013 at 11:07 am
(9) Trent says:

Ok, I don’t wish to insult anyone but there are some extreme misconceptions about latin here. I just finished reading Wheelock’s Standard Latin and i still can’t call myself mei dominus of the language but here goes…

So there is a little confusion about words like he, she, him, her, et cetera. Truthfully such words don’t even exist in latin. Their idea is incorporated into the verbs that they describe. So you take a word, then change the suffix and this identifies the type of person who is related to the verb. Technically this makes latin a shorter language as 1 word can be used to express 2 parts of the sentence.

Exempli Gratia:

The word Laudare literally means “to praise”. If we change the end to something else it takes on a different meaning;
Laudo- i praise
Laudas- you praise
Laudat- he/she praises
Laudamus- we praise
Laudatis- (speaking to a group) you praise
Laudant- they praise

In this way, there is no need for identifying articles because the verb tells you exactly what you need to know. This makes Latin the ideal language for politics, oration and law as there is little grey area and few misunderstandings.