1. Education
N.S. Gill

On This Day in Ancient History - The Future Augustus Caesar's Birthday

By September 22, 2013

Clipart.com
This Day (Sept. 23) in Ancient History:

Before he died, Julius Caesar adopted his great-nephew Octavian, in his will. Octavian would become the first Roman emperor. We know of him as "Augustus".

Early in its history, Rome had deposed its kings and instituted the Republican form of government with two annually elected officials known as consuls. Starting with Augustus, a single leader again rose to the top. This time, the head of Rome was called emperor or princeps, rather than king.

Look at the comments for a discussion of this date as the birthday of Augustus. Do you have more to say on the topic? Please add your comments to the discussion of the date of Augustus' birth.

Learn more about Augustus Caesar.
Augustus

Also See:

Comments

October 1, 2009 at 6:29 am
(1) Loretta says:

Wasn’t Augustus born in ancient September/modern December… in the winter, during the Senate’s Catatline debates? Also, some his coins have his sign on the reverse, the constellation Capricorn.

October 1, 2009 at 9:29 am
(2) ancienthistory says:

Suetonius: “Augustus was born just before sunrise on the ninth day before the Kalends of October….”

October 1, 2009 at 2:15 pm
(3) Loretta says:

I love mulling over these bits and pieces of history :)
I did get your email too by the way. I’m not sure who if anyone would know for sure anymore. My Latin isn’t that great, but I can guess from the text that the most concrete part of it all would be his astrology sign… but I think even the constellation has shifted (albeit slight) since then.

October 1, 2009 at 2:36 pm
(4) ancienthistory says:

For me, it’s frustrating that there are so many unknown dates. It’s like a life preserver when one gets one that looks easy — like the Suetonius one, but then, of course, there were the calendar reformers. Is the shift in the zodiac that far off? If not, I imagine you’re right that Augustus was actually born in the month we’d call December, although on his calendar it would have been September.

October 1, 2009 at 8:51 pm
(5) Loretta says:

What made me think about the shifting was the remnants of that huge wooden calendar and the corresponding constellation “thingy” archaeologists found in Germany.
I think that was 2 or 3 thousand further back than what even when we’re talking.
Probably the shift in the zodiac isn’t very much for only 2 thousand years ago, but it’s not going to improve.

September 23, 2010 at 9:18 am
(6) Praveen says:

Lets all wish him and pray for him. Happy Birthday. Thanks for the info. I dint knew Augustus birthday till now.

September 22, 2012 at 10:09 pm
(7) Ingrid says:

Happy Birthday Augustus Caesar.
He’s 2075 years old now by the way :) I will always remember him.