Question: When Were the 10 Christian Persecutions in the Early Church?
Answer: Many people have heard of Nero throwing Christians to the lions, but Nero isn't the only emperor who is accused of having persecuted the early Christians. The following are the emperors under whose rule you find the 10 major persecutions of Christians during the Roman Empire.
- Nero (64 A.D.)
- Domitian (c.90-96)
- Trajan (98-117)
- Hadrian (117-138)
- Marcus Aurelius (161-181)
- Septimus Severus (202-211)
- Maximus the Thracian (235-251)
- Decius (249-251)
- Valerian (257-260)
- Diocletian / Galerius (303-311)
Index of Early Christianity FAQs
- When were the 10 persecutions of Christians?
- Why is it Xmas?
- What does theotokos mean?
- Which nation first adopted Christianity?
- Who were the disciples in The Last Supper, by daVinci?
- Who are the archangels?
- What are the 10 Commandments?