- 354 - Augustine was born in Thagaste, Numidia (now Algeria).
- 371 - Augustine went to Carthage.
- 375 - In the year in which the Emperor Valentinian I died, Augustine returned to Thagaste to teach. He then wrote the no longer extant De pulchro et apto.
- 383 - The usurper Maximus revolted, there was famine in Rome, and Augustine sailed there.
- 384 - Augustine was appointed to teach rhetoric in Milan. While in Milan, he studied neoplatonism.
- 386 - Augustine converted to Christianity and launched a prolific Christian writing career.
- 387 - Ambrose baptized Augustine.
- 395/6 - Augustine made bishop of Hippo Regius (Annaba, Algeria), Augustine kept the position until his death.
- 430 - Augustine died on August 28.
Source: Augustine of Hippo, by Peter Robert Lamont Brown. University of California Press, 2000.
"A thing is not necessarily true because badly uttered, nor false because spoken magnificently."
Confessions Book V, by Saint Augustine