First Generation Titans of Greek Mythology
The Titans in the first generation are the aunts, uncles, and parents of Zeus and company (the Olympian gods and goddesses). [See Genealogy of the First Gods.] These Titans are the 12 children of the primordial personifications of the earth (Gaia) and the sky (Uranus). You may find the female titans distinguished from their brothers by the term titanides, although this should be used to refer to children of titans.
- Oceanus [Okeanos] - the ocean
(father of nymphs)
- Coeus [Koios and Polos] - questioning
(father of Leto & Asteria)
- Crius [Krios, probably Megamedes 'the great lord' [source: Theoi]]
(father of Pallas, Astraeus, and Perses)
- Hyperion - light
(father of sun-god, moon, dawn)
- Iapetus [Iapetos]
(father of Prometheus, Atlas, and Epimetheus)
- Cronus [Kronos] (aka Saturn)
- Thea [Theia] - sight
- Rhea [Rheia]
(Cronus and Rhea were the parents of the Olympian gods and goddesses)
- Themis - justice and order
(Zeus' second consort, mother of the Hours, Fates)
- Mnemosyne - memory
(mated with Zeus to produce the Muses)
- Phoebe - oracle, intellect [source: Theoi
The Titans Cronus (#6 above) and Rhea (#8) are the parents of Zeus and the other Olympian gods and goddesses.
Besides the Olympian gods and goddesses, the Titans produced other offspring, mating with either other Titans or other creatures. These offspring are also called Titans, but they're the titans of the second generation.
Second Generation Titans of Greek Mythology
Some of the children of the first generation Titans are also referred to as Titans. The major second generation Titans are:
- Astraea (Dike)
- Eos (Dawn)
- Eosphorus (or Hesperus)
Dione, Phorcys, Anytus, and Demeter are sometimes added to the list of 12 Titans: Oceanus, Coeus, Crius, Hyperion, Iapetus, Cronus, Thea, Rhea, Themis, Mnemosyne, Phoebe, and Tethys.
Titans are involved in stories of:
- The castration of Ouranos,
- The creation of man,
- The fight with the gods, known as the Titanomachy, but often mixed up with the story of the gods' battle with the giants, and
- The imprisonment of the Titans in Tartarus.