Question: What's the Name of a Half-Man Half-Beast?
The following question about a hodge-podge mythical creature was posted on the Ancient / Classical History Forum:
I have been searching endlessly for an umbrella term defined as a creature in Greek mythology that is half-human, half-animal. I know of specific creatures, such as the minotaur and the centaur, but I am looking for a general term than encompasses all of these creatures. Can anyone help???
Answer: The answer to this question is not one of the following specific mythical hybrid creatures:
- Centaur (horse-man)
- Echidna (snake-woman)
- Harpy (bird-woman)
- Mandrake (plant-man)
- Mermaid (woman-fish)
- Minotaur (bull-man)
- Satyr (horse-tailed man; later, goat-man)
- Siren (bird-woman)
- Sphinx (woman-lion-bird)
- Tragelaphos (goat-stag)
Greek Mythology FAQ Index
- How many trips did Hercules (Heracles) make to the Underworld?
- Which is the most intriguing story in Greek mythology?
- Which god or goddess do you find most important in our everyday life?
- What is myth?
- What's the name of a monster who is half man and half beast?
- What are the names for the four winds (gods)?
- What are Psyche's 4 tasks?