1. Education
N.S. Gill

Loki and Trickster Gods

By February 22, 2006

I received the following question from email:
    " I am very curious about one thing - in Norse Loki is known as the trickster, yet, I find no evidence of "his" influence in other mythologies. IE - Greek, Roman, etc.

Am I wrong in assuming that the Norse mythologies are the only ones addressing a god such as Loki? If not - who are they and why are they so hard to find?

If you can help me with this question I would be ever grateful.

Thank you in advance."

In response, I recommended that he look at my article on the Greek trickster god Hermes: Hermes: A Thief, Inventor, and Messenger God and listed the Wikipedia list of trickster gods listed under "trickster". List of Trickster Gods.

Comments

May 2, 2009 at 2:17 pm
(1) Mani says:

Hindu: mythology Naradha sage is a mishchief maker and all lead to better understandings and good endings

July 27, 2012 at 3:52 pm
(2) Courtney says:

Dionysus – Greek god of wine and madness

Gwydion fab Dn – magician, hero and trickster of Welsh mythology

Māui – Māori mythology – famous for his exploits and trickery

Kuma Lisa – fox trickster of Bulgaria and Russia

February 6, 2013 at 3:43 pm
(3) Melissa Davis says:

Turn from all this madness…These are Not Gods…there is only One God!!! Tickster Gods are not Gods, not ancient aliens they are the fallen angels-SATAN !!! The Lord kicked them down to earth to rule…please read the Bible and if you do not understand it…please get into a good Bible based church. Matthew 18:20 (the first book of the New Testiment) For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them. Just talk about our Lord and savior with a friend or two !!! Your day and eventually your life will be changed and you wont entertain these crazy lies. After all that is what Satan does. He wants to do away with all good and lie and delude our spirits…he wants this craziness . The LORD ROCKS !!!

February 8, 2013 at 12:07 pm
(4) HLD says:

Melissa, I urge you to take a moment to reflect on your post before thinking of writing such a thing again. If you have strong religious beliefs, that’s fine – but please do not attempt to force them upon others. This is not a forum for religious debate, but a question about Old Norse mythology. I find it offensive that you felt the need to conduct a religious rant, citing the Bible (which has itself been subjected to the process of transmission, much like texts from heathen and other religious lore) in an argument which is, quite frankly, ignorant and unnecessary. At no point did the author of this post attempt to debase Christianity. As I said before, please stop to think before you impinge on what could be a lively and insightful discussion about the role of trickster gods in ancient mythology.

As a side note, much Old Norse mythology – including the texts of Snorri Sturluson detailing the character of Loki – existed before the Christianisation of Europe. It’s ironic how the subject of mythology examines the decline of heathenism in the face of coercive, imperialistic Christians who quite simply forced religion upon others and attempted to refute all previous belief systems. It doesn’t appear that much has changed in the past 1300 years, either.

February 8, 2013 at 12:09 pm
(5) HLD says:

May 25, 2013 at 12:13 am
(6) Sanuel says:

I agree.. the lord of corse is somthing you belive in.. if thats the case that is perfect. In my case i am religeous too. how in any way are you to say that Greek religeon is not true. If you do not belive in things about the greece civilizatoin then i urge the note on you not posting messagges that do not reflect on your religeon. Greek religeon of corse hasnt been proved but neither has the lord. In both ways who knows mabey we do not have a god. All i can say is if you do not belive in one others religeon i urge you not to be rude to another religeon for other people may be rude towerds yours.

October 13, 2013 at 6:11 am
(7) Artemisia says:

Melissa, I don’t understand why you’d bother to subscribe to a newsletter about ancient/classical history without having any idea, apparently, that the study of ancient society would also involve the study of the religious/mythological history of those societies, as well.