Sacrilegious, an adjective some have applied to the Xmas spelling, is easy to misspell. It looks as though it should be "sac-" plus the word religious, but it isn't. Instead, according to the Online Etymology Dictionary, it comes from the Latin phrase sacrum legere "to steal sacred things."
Index of Early Christianity FAQs
- When were the 10 persecutions of Christians?
- Why is it Xmas?
- What does theotokos mean?
- Which nation first adopted Christianity?
- Who were the disciples in The Last Supper, by daVinci?
- Who are the archangels?
- What are the 10 Commandments?
- When was the Exodus?
- What were the 10 Egyptian Plagues
- What are the 12 tribes of Israel?